Absentee Voting

Mailed Absentee Ballots

If you meet any of these qualifications you may request a paper absentee ballot be mailed to you:

  • Due to advanced age, disability, illness or medical emergency

  • You are a member of the Armed Forces or the dependent of a member of the Armed forces (Obtain the online Federal Post Card Application FPCA form.)

  • You temporarily reside overseas but are still eligible to vote in Kentucky

  • You are a student attending school outside the county of your voter registration

  • You temporarily live outside the state but are still eligible to vote in Kentucky

  • You are incarcerated in jail and have been charged but not convicted of a felony

  • You work outside the county and are unable to either vote early in the county clerk's office or in your polling place on election day

You may request the absentee ballot at anytime during the year, however the ballots are not printed until 50 days prior to the election. If you requested an absentee ballot more than 50 days prior to the election, it will be mailed to you after the ballots are printed.

Since the County Clerk must mail the application, receive a signed application before mailing out your absentee ballot, then receive the completed ballot in the mail prior to the 6PM deadline on election day, we strongly recommend requesting your ballot early!

The deadline for applying for a paper absentee ballot is 7 days before an election. However, you may apply for a medical emergency absentee ballot up to the day of the election. You may request the absentee ballot application from your County Clerk's office in person, by mail, by phone or by fax.

In- Person Absentee Ballot Voting

If you do not qualify for a paper absentee ballot, you may vote an absentee ballot in person on a voting machine in the County Clerk's office 12 or more days before the election if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You will be out of the county on election day

  • Advanced in age, disabled, or ill

  • You are a pregnant woman in your third trimester

  • You are a member of the County Board of Elections, alternate precinct officer or appointed to a precinct other than that in which you are registered.

If you are casting an in-person absentee ballot at the County Clerk's office, you may fill out the application at the time that you go to the office to vote, eliminating the need for multiple trips.

Be sure to bring an ID with you for in-person absentee voting.

College Students : Look here for information on voting

Military or Overseas Voters: Look here for information on voting